The Leading Journal for the Tyre Recycling Sector

The Leading Journal for the Tyre Recycling Sector

Large Scale Pyrolysis Plant for Alabama

CSRC Group and Sheico Group have announced plans for a large scale tyre pyrolysis plant in Alabama

The Taiwanese partnership has chosen Phenix, Alabama, in partnership with Eco Infinic – a Thai subsidiary of Sheico, as the location for its projected plant targeted to to recover 30,000 tons of rCB, 35,000 tons of tyre pyrolysis oil (TPO), and 2,300 tons of steel wire. It will be 65 percent owned by Eco Infinic, with CSRC and CCC jointly holding the remaining 35 per cent.

The chosen site was formerly operated by Continental Carbon Co., and production is expected to start in 2026.

CSRC is anticipating a growth in the market for rCB as manufacturers increase the proportion of rCB in their tyres. The Group highlights Michelin and Bridgestone’s moves to expand the use of rCB, and their target for sustainable targets by 2030.

Currently, less than 1 per cent of carbon black comes from recycled tyres. The company states; “The United States, being one of the major producers and consumers of rCB, has already made significant investments in recycling facilities and advanced pyrolysis technology, marking it as an important market that cannot be overlooked.”

The performance of CSRC’s own rCB “is close to virgin carbon black, and it has already been adopted by Cheng Shin for use in bicycle tyres,” according to the firm.